Fireplace and Wood Stove Safety for Greenwood Village?
Do you know that chimneys can catch on fire? SERVPRO® of Denver West offers these tips for Greenwood Village from Federal Emergency Management Agency for preventing creosote buildup that can cause chimney fires:
Limited air supply and unseasoned wood encourage the buildup of creosote. To avoid that buildup, do not restrict the air supply by:
- Closing the glass doors
- Not opening the damper wide enough
- The longer the smoke is in the flue, the more likely it is that creosote will form
- By closing down the stove damper or air inlets on a wood stove too soon or too much
- Do not burn unseasoned wood
- In the case of wood stoves, overloading the firebox with wood in an attempt to get a longer burn time also contributes to creosote buildup
Fireplace and Woodstove Safety
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or woodstove
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, at least three feet from your home
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home
When Greenwood Village residents and businesses have fire damage, they can trust SERVPRO® of Denver West to restore the damage, “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at 303-576-6868.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.